|Mrs F Baird
Mrs A McGinnis
|PT Home Economics
Ethos and Aims
In S3/S4 the department offers Standard Grade Home Economics. The aims of this course are:
- To provide a sound basis of knowledge and skills which will stimulate and sustain an interest in, and enjoyment in Home Economics.
- To develop the knowledge and skills required to enable young people to make reasoned and informed decisions relating to the organisation and management of resources and human potential, in order to satisfy the needs of individuals within a family group.
- To develop an understanding of the principles underlying the critical choice and safe use of equipment, materials and procedures.
- To provide meaningful experiences and opportunities for personal fulfilment in creative, sensory and manipulative skills.
- To help young people towards the understanding of the needs of others and in particular the needs of the family.
- To equip young people with the organisational skills necessary to meet the needs of individuals and family members within a rapidly changing society.
In S5/S6 two courses are offered by the department; Health and Food Technology and Hospitality. Through the study of Higher Health and Food Technology students will have the opportunity to:-
- Acquire knowledge and experiences which will influence the quality of their lives.
- Further develop and use craft skills.
- Develop skills of enquiry, analysis, evaluation and use these to make reasoned decisions.
- Develop a capability to solve problems using a range of technological and other resources.
Hospitality has been designed as a practical course and aims to provide students with opportunities to develop techniques and skills required for food preparation appropriate to domestic and hospitality situations. The course aims :-
- The development of skills and knowledge related to practical skills in the Hospitality Industry
- To develop an awareness of how recipes can be adapted to produce healthier dishes.
- To develop an insight into the potential of preparing selected international dishes.
download: Home Economics Departmental Support (132.46KB)
description: This document gives details of support available for pupils from this department.