Our department offers three language courses to students and our department’s vision is to support the learning and understanding of these languages in all areas. Through practice and use of real world topic we hope to create confident writer, readers, listeners and speakers of French, German and Spanish.
S1 & S2
Pupils study French for 2 hours per week in S1 and for 3 hours per week in S2.
At the beginning of S1 all pupils will take French through two years of in-depth study, building on their existing knowledge to develop a confidence and enthusiasm for the study of foreign languages. The department aims to bring the world of languages alive through its use of real world topics.
The courses in S1 and S2 will include a balance of grammar, vocabulary and cultural context that form the basis of a successful and fulfilling foreign language experience at the school.
Modern Languages Course Details
So why is French important? … Well, how long have you got!
Here are 12 important facts about the French language and French speaking countries:
Through the study of French, pupils will…
- become increasingly confident when speaking, reading, writing and listening to the language
- gain knowledge of how the language works and apply this knowledge in the four skills above
- develop their communication, presentation and IT skills
- develop awareness of the target language country, including its culture and lifestyle
But that’s not all……
- French is spoken as a first language by about 136 million people worldwide
- Around 190 million people speak French as a second language
- French speaking communities are present on all the continents in 57 countries and territories of the world
- French is an official language of The International Red Cross, The United Nations and The Olympics
- Over 20,000 English words have their origins in French
- Speaking French will increase your job opportunities and salary potential
- French is the language of culture opening your door to art, music, dance, fashion, cuisine/gastronomy, and cinema
French fashion designers, artists, writers, musicians, chefs and film makers have had a wide influence all over the world.