Hi…….. welcome to Girvan Academy Pupil Council area
Contacting your Pupil Council
You can contact the Pupil Council at any time by emailing
The pupil council is made up of the following pupils:
S1 Sean Lowe & Jennifer Galloway
S2 Daniel Fyfe & Stuart Scholes
S3 Corrie Bonner & Hollie Govus
S4 Charlie Ceates & Gillian Purdie
S5 Dylan Brown & Ciara Hepburn
S6 Alison McIntosh, Rachel McAllister & Jamie Kyle
Role of the Pupil Council
To consult with pupils about their views on their school environment and their learning is a key feature of our school. To give young people a “voice” as partners in the process of school improvement and lead to more effective learning organisations.
Pupil Council is one means of ensuring that young people develop positive attitudes and an opportunity to take part in “real life” decision making within their own school setting. The School has three House Councils, with class representatives selected by election, and a Pupil Council. The House and Pupil Councils meet every month. House Assemblies are held and these allow House Captains and House Staff to meet with all of the pupils in their House.
Recent Pupil Council School News
- Strategic Planning Group meeting – Wednesday 23 February 2011 A group of pupils along with the Head Teacher Mr Rattray attended the Strategic Planning Group meeting on Wednesday 23 February to discuss the proposed changes in the Girvan Community. The meeting gave pupils the opportunity to express their views and opinion on what was planned and what could be changed within the local community. Members of ...
- Pupil Council Members Visit Assembly Pupil council members recently visited House Assemblies to present information from the recent Strategic Planning Group Meeting. Corrie and Gillian were excellent in their delivery of local re-generation issues. Both pupils did a fantastic job in motivating pupils to participate in attendance at forthcoming meetings and completion of the re-generation questionnaire. Daniel Fyfe & Stuart Scholes S2 reps
- Pupil Council Surgery Reminder to pupils! Pupil Council Surgery, every Tuesday lunchtime 1pm. This is YOUR opportunity to speak with pupil council representatives on items within school. WE LISTEN TO YOUR VIEWS!!!
- The Big Budget Challenge Representatives from the pupil council attended ‘The Big Budget Challenge’ on Friday 12 November 2010 as part of South Ayrshire Youth Conference. Pupils attended from schools throughout South Ayrshire. The day kicked off with some exciting team building exercises before adressing ‘Big Budget’ issues. “Its was great to be given the opportunity to express our views on ...
- Community Council Meeting – 1 February 2011 As a member of Girvan Academy Pupil Council and now a member of Girvan Community Council I recently attended a Community Council Meeting at Carrick Buildings in Girvan. At the meeting we were given a presentation by Robin Chambers and Lynne Sweeney from Coriolis Energy detailing information about their new wind farm in Assle Valley. As ...
- Picnic Bench Area Outdoor Picnic Area Recently in response to pupil veiws and requests the purchase of 3 wooden picnic benches took place. These requests were made at Pupil Concil Surgeries and action was taken in response. Pupil feedback to date has been very positive and as you can see were great purchase. Not only pupils but members of our local community ...
- Road Safety Action Plan School Travel Plan and ‘Hands Up’ Survey In response to the recently completed School Travel Plan and ‘Hands Up’ survey, South Ayrshire Council have responded by sanctioning a number of improvements around the school which include: A cycle parking area, with bike stands An extended path at Mill Burn foot bridge Neapolitan surface mounted bollards Dropped Kerbs Tactile Paving These improvements will ...
- Changes To Bag Drop Area PUPIL BAG DROP AREA Due to a very congested bag drop area at the PE doors and in response to pupil concerns it was decided to split the bag drop area in to seperate areas for Male/Female. This means that boys now drop off bags at the Maths red seat area and girls continue to use the trellises ...
- Upcoming Events The following forthcoming activities are planned: Strategic Planning Group meeting – Wednesday 23 February – Pupil Council member to attend. Pupil Council members to visit assembly to discuss regeneration of Girvan and pupil input required. Speaker Council Awards – Completion of online application.